Wednesday, October 2, 2013

"Who Wrote This?" "Shakespeare!" (Web Series Madness!)



I'm sure the title of this post was a bit confusing. Well ^this^ is what it's from!

And now I bet that you're even more confused!


Well, I do realize that my last couple posts were a bit on the long side (especially the very last post I did with all the crazy writing and the many, many video clips. I'm hoping this one will be shorter, less writing and a bit more relaxed and just something that people can sit back and enjoy.

Now fair warning: This post will have a lot of video clips, most likely. But I will do my best not to overload you with writing. If there's something that you're unclear about or that you want to learn more about, just ask me on Twitter or in the comments, no problem whatsoever!

Alright, so anyway, this week I'm going to be showing you guys my favorite web series from YouTube, and I'll explain a little bit about why I like each one, but I won't go into too much detail, especially since there are a couple web series I wanted to cover for my upcoming Case Study projects.

So let's get started!

But WAIT!
You Need to know something first!

A Web Series
IS NOT THE SAME AS
A Video Blog (Vlog)

And I will provide you with a quick example instead of giving you a boring dictionary definition.

This is a Vlog:
(You guys don't have to watch the entire thing, I know it's a longer video - I'm sure my point has been understood)

Alright, so in no particular order, I will be listing some of my favorite geeky YouTube web series.

#1: The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

Since I posted a link to the first video in my last blog, I thought I'd post my favorite episode out of the first 10.

So just a little bit about why I like this series: I'm a bit of an Austenite, for one, in case you guys didn't know that about me. Also, such as in this episode, it's pretty hilarious all the way through. And I started watching this series pretty early in while they were still posting 2 videos a week, and following along with it and watching these character grow over the course of a year was pretty great.

Not to mention... THIS SHOW WON AN EMMY.

Yes, I'm not kidding! This series won a Creative Arts Emmy! You can look it up if you don't believe me!

#2: Hey Ash What'cha Playin'

This series is about various video games, and is done by the brother & sister team Anthony and Ashly Burch. I barely play half of the video games they do, but it doesn't matter and I'm still able to laugh at every video these guys make.

Quick little fun fact for you: Anthony Burch works for Gearbox Software and is the head writer of the game Borderlands 2. Ashly Burch did the voice for a popular character in the game, Tiny Tina.

Now for clips! Here is the one I show to people who laugh at physical comedy:


And for those who prefer more "intellectual" humor:


#3: Board With Life

So, I'll admit, I started watching this series because Ashly Burch is in it.

But I kept watching it because it's an honest and entertaining series about a group of friends and their love for board games, and while there are a lot of videos related to board games on YouTube I'd never actually seen a fictional series surrounding it.

These guys release bits every week too, even though the first season of the series is over, and this one made me laugh so much that I really want to buy and play this game:


#4: Job Hunters

So basically, this series is a bit similar to post-apocalyptic plots like you would find in The Hunger Games, only this series focuses more on the problem of overpopulation.

This series has its series moments, but it also has really silly moments such as Avery yelling at a toaster, a unicorn named Cornelius, and of course, tiny marshmallows.

And that's it for now! There are of course some other series I watch, such as Squaresville, School of Thrones (which is only 3 episodes long), and I am counting down the days until EMMA Approved begins, which is the second Austen adapted series created by Hank Green and Bernie Su (it airs on October 7th, in case anyone is interested).

Each of these series have their own dedicated fandom backing them. The sizes of those fandoms varies for each series, but the internet is full of people (like me! :) ) geeking out about all of these videos.

And I suppose that's it for now! Don't forget to check out my various links on the side there, and I will leave you all today with a question:

#1: What is your favorite fictional web series?

#2: If you don't have any web series that you follow on a regular basis, what are your thoughts based on the clips/full episodes provided here?

That's all for now! Thanks for reading guys!

~ 4EvaGeek

No comments:

Post a Comment