Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I Need This Feeling (Our Passions)



So yeeeeah . . . I think this arrangement of initial .gif's is my weirdest to date.

First off, I apologize for not writing that Halloween-themed post last week like I promised, as well as completely abandoning the idea of writing a post altogether. This class called for a presentation and a case study due for me on the same day, and I was a bit stressed about getting my case study video in on time.

But I'm back now!


Sorry, I might be a little bit .gif happy tonight XD Oh well!

Anyway, I was looking through my old posts and I decided that I haven't really done anything too too personal at this point, so I suppose it couldn't hurt to start now!

As I've mentioned before, it is very difficult to define exactly what a geek is, because it is such an all-encompassing term. Sure, texts such as 'The Geek Handbook' can try and divide people into specific categories, but I can guess all of you are smart enough to know that one book isn't going to cover everything on a single topic.

Even so, I would like to think that there is something that the lot of us have in common, more often than not, and that is that we all have things that we are passionate about.

You aren't labeled as a geek because of the specific things that you are passionate about. You don't even have to be a geek in order to get passionate about something. But I find that more often than not that the people that would call themselves geeks, nerds, dorks, what have you, are people that aren't afraid to share their passions with the world.

Here's an example: I can't count the number of times I've had screaming girls wander into the bookstore where I work. Whether it's to take in our One Direction merchandise . . .

*shudder*

Or when it's girls excitedly explaining to their friends the plot of one of John Green's books.


In fact, I've heard on countless occasions that people refer to that moment when they're "jump-up-and-down-squealing-like-a-little-girl-oh-my-God-I-can't-believe-it-I-don't-even" excited as "geeking out." Of course you could also call that generally just "freaking out" or "fangirling."

After all, who hasn't had a moment where they're involved in some sort of excited discussion or debate with their friends or just with the people around them, not over a class discussion or whatever the current headline is that they find repulsive, but over something that they really enjoy talking to other people about?

I know I'm guilty of this. I'm pretty sure I razzed on a fellow classmate just a couple days ago when I heard that he hadn't seen any episodes of Game of Thrones or read any of the books that the HBO series is based on, and I more or less demanded that he watch it as soon as possible.


I also more or less squealed with a friend of mine when we talked about last week's episode of The Big Bang Theory, and how excited we were to see a substantial figure from our childhood appear on screen, bow tie and all.


I've also noticed that for the past few months that I have declared a personal war against anybody that will not watch the show White Collar after I have expressed the show's many virtues to them: it's well written, it's unlike any of the other crime dramas currently on the air such as NCIS and CSI, it's incredibly funny, and also because I happen to find Matt Bomer to be one of the most gorgeous men alive . . . 

(WHY must he play for the other team?!)

Okay, so maybe that last reason applies only to myself, but still . . . 

My point is, we all have something, and it's not just TV shows that apply here. People are passionate about cooking, about writing, about sports, even about characters that they grow attached to in books they read or in their own writing.


I guess the morale of the story here is: To all the people who are screaming at their television sets when the characters on TV are making bad decisions,

To the people who let out a little squeal when they see a new book by their favorite author out on the shelves,

To those that have fun talking, Facebooking and Tweeting to people about the interests they have in common (or the interests they should have in common because maybe you think everyone should hop on the Duck Dynasty wagon),

To everyone that has one or a multitude of things that they are passionate about that help to motivate them each day,

I salute you.



Okay, now it's officially .gif overkill XD

Guess this would be a good time for me to go. I guess I can end with a simple enough question:

What are you passionate about?

Let me know!

~ 4EvaGeek

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure you can ever have too many .gifs!

    I'm passionate about..

    Baking. It's sciency magic. Cooking is one thing, it's more of an art, but baking needs to be be precise (usually) and I love that.

    New Nintendo games. I've been a Nintendo fangirl for as long as I can remember, and I will never not be excited by the prospect of a new Mario or Zelda game.

    Epic book series. Everytime a new book in one of my favorite series is released, I reread all the ones leading up to them, and then stay up until all hours finishing the new one, and then forcing my mom or sister to read it as soon as I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm passionate about crafting, video games, books, and a great tv series!

    ReplyDelete